Sunday, January 19, 2020

Wildwood Wisdom





In the scheme of things, not so many years ago, we went from hunter gatherers to settlements and to being farmers. That move shifted at lightning speed to the industrial revolution bringing much of the life we have today. History calls it progress, but I believe it was not so good for mankind. We lost so much of our ability to be at one with the earth and nature in general,

The ancient ways were forgotten and, in many cases, perhaps lost forever. Few today can ID an edible plant. Do you anyone who can tell you ten plants that are safe to eat that grow in the wild? The ability to move and be like a recent ancestor identifying the gifts found growing in the wild is a rare thing. To be able to walk in those ancient footprints should bring joy to those who can follow the footprints.

 Real wildwood wisdom is a thing only a few ever get to witness or be a part of in the world today, I’m a lucky man because I know a few of these folks. I have traveled a few paths with them as I strive to learn the earth and the ancient ways no matter what part of the world they come from. We are all connected somehow. We all cannot live in the past and that is not what I’m saying here, but to learn the old ways is a fine goal I believe. To live a simple life and enjoying the bounty of the earth seems to be a mighty fine thing in my humble opinion.

I have tried to surround myself with the kind of people who are living like this, and as I get older it seems to be more important that the skills be passed on. For your consideration

   by Dude McLean

No comments:

Post a Comment