Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Silly Toys

As with all preps, the bucks are hard earned on our end and one needs to be very prudent about what you buy. One should do a lot, or as much, research as possible… time to be tough on yourself. What is a silly toy as compared to real life use, in the field or at home. And if you would ever need it in place of another tool, or with a bit of improve on your part would answer just fine.
My suggestion is don’t get mixed up between every gadget that is offered up in the name of survival. Know the difference between silly toys and real tools. Lots of stuff comes to mind that really would make no difference in your life. Survival silly toys for silly boys under the guise of a must have real survival tool are everywhere. Survivalists and preppers is big bucks for many internet and brick and mortar business… they are all looking for the next item to sell you.
Perusing the internet 1000s of companies are all vying for your buck. Most are run by good folks, but it is a business trying to get you to spend with them. I see some folks on treks, hikes, classes, etc they might as well be Batman, they have so many items in pouches and sheaths wrapped around them. Who knows if they, in reality, can even work, or if they even do work. Many items look cool and all seem to justify the carry, use and cost. When did it get so complicated? You might point a finger and say well you’re old school… granted that just means I own the skills, without compromising my life for silly tools. The only batteries I want to carry is for my headlight, and for any comm gear I choose to use to keep in touch. I don’t need a battery for a fan for a cook stove. As a matter of fact, I don’t need a cook stove, when I can make one from a can, that if made the right way works as well as any thing else on the market. The idea is to cook and be at ease with it. I don’t need a stove that looks like a volcano and will boil water in 45 seconds, though I’m sure some of you reading this will give me some sort of ridiculous reason why I do.
I’m not naming any names, but you know the silly toys when you see them, I hope. What gets me is we see some of these items pushed by perceived experts, either from their books or TV shows, so they must know what they are talking about, right? They are getting paid and some times very well. Survival sells. Now walk this line of thought with me. It does not mean they are not skilled, because most of them are—some are highly qualified—however some are not. It’s up to you to find out the difference, that is part of your homework. The range of items that are for sale is staggering, with the promise to help you survive. You would need a pack train to carry all this stuff. This goes for all kinds of storage items also. When it is promised it will last for X years, what happens when it fails, and the SHTF, who do you call? Answer… No one.
I for one do not want to be Batman with his utility belt, that was a great idea when I was a kid but not now, I also found out I couldn’t fly, despite my neato cape. Some of this stuff makes you think you will be Superman by having it. Silly toys for silly boys and for suckers… one is born every second. Common sense seems to have taken a backseat. You are only as stupid as your parents. Apparently, it’s true, as we see them march in lockstep for the silly toys.
Any of you who are reading this and if you have suffered this far, and have been to any of the Dirttime events and classes know you do not need gadgets and those silly toys. Keep your money and spend it in a wise manner. Own the skills first, Your brain is the only gadget you need.

By Dude McLean

Please feel free to post comments on my articles, I enjoy hearing from and responding to my readers. When you're finished posting your comment please click PUBLISH to share your comment with me and my readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment