Friday, June 5, 2015

The Feral Woodsman in Camp, Chapter 7 of 18



My vision of the Feral Woodsman, in camp, has many parts.
The base camp, or main camp, would be home and would need to hidden well. Most of your gear would be here, or close by, depending on the traffic from hunters, hikers and so on. Anyone can accidentally stumble on a place, but most do not stray far from any trails, though I would not count on that. In my exploring around the country, and being one to break bush, I have, at times, run into well concealed “homes”.
One time was in a remote desert area in Nevada. This person had four 8×4 pieces of plywood nailed to a frame work of 4x4s, but had no roof. I suspect he used a tarp of some kind. Inside it was a wreck, but was obviously being lived in. He had no idea what he was doing. I poked around a bit and found warrants for this person, so he was on the run, but not very smart about it. He had all kinds of personal info everywhere. I left it all alone.
Another one I found was in the mountains above Simi Valley, California. I was trekking along a marked path, when my dog ran around a huge boulder formation—the mountains in this area are like jumbled rocks— and started barking. I walked around this formation and behind it was an overhang that would protect one from the elements. Sitting on a chair was this well groomed elderly man. He had a cot, cook stove, some boxes of food and a well kept fire ring with fire irons. Every thing was neat and tidy. He was a bit afraid—my Akita was very intimidating. I called her to me and he and I had one of those conversations. He told me they called him homeless but said, “I have a great home here and I prefer this to any other place I ever lived”. He asked that I tell no one he was there. I told him I would tell no one and I never told anyone where he was.
The Feral Woodsman needs to be comfy and neat, having the ability to cook, be safe and sleep. And, be away from the elements and the possibility of some jerk walking in on him, or her, by accident. It should be in a place that is hard to get to and find, so your exploring for the home base will include some scramble on your part. At the same time, you have to be able to furnish it with your needs to be comfortable. Access for you should be quick and easy and next to impossible for anyone to see and or access. Hard to do but it can be done.
The next step is to build satellite camps, also well hidden, but provide comfort and food you have cached. This way, if you get caught by a sudden turn of the weather, you are covered. I would establish a series of these safety zones, stocking them with the essentials you need to live—food, change of clothes and weapons. Having the ability to duck out is putting your Feral Woodsman skills to use. Just like a fox, no one needs to know you’re there. I would establish cache sites in places other than the camps. The better you can supply your self, the better off you will be.
One other camp comes to mind and that is hiding in plain sight, looking like any other camper on an outing for a few weeks. This type of camp will allow you to scout around to see if this is a place you might wish to “set” for a spell. Most places have a limit you can stay, but by moving around you can circumvent that rule… I have done this many times. You can choose to do and practice stealth camping… Good training for your future Feral self.
I would not skimp on some cooking gear, a few, well seasoned, cook items will go a long way for your cooking needs. A few canvas buckets are handy for water. Other cook gear, like coffee cans, work well I have been out for weeks with nothing more than my trusty coffee can, seasoned just like a dutch oven. Cooking utensils are nice also. You can cook most anything over a great set of hot coals. Stews and soups are always good. Keep it clean, so you don’t get sick on your own cooking. I feel the easier you make it to cook the better chance you have of success. You don’t want it to be such a chore that it is a pain in the butt… Smooth it. don’t rough it.
Food wise, you might bring in some pre-packaged foods, like Mountain House, to establish yourself in your chosen bit of paradise. You don’t want it to turn into hell. Also take advantage bodies of water to fish for your food, including other things like crayfish, turtles and frogs. Keep a sharp eye out for watercress and cattails, a great addition to any meal. This is not a cook book so you need to do your own learnin’.
As time goes by, and you get more and more dirt time, you will soon learn a lot of shortcuts and the hunter gatherer feral self will start to emerge… The Feral Woodsman has been awakened.
By Dude McLean


Please feel free to post comments on my articles, I enjoy hearing from and responding to my readers. When you're finished posting your comment please click PUBLISH to share your comment with me and my readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment