Monday, May 25, 2015

Tradition

“Tradition”
Tradition is a great word and can conjur up all kinds of visions covering a wide scope of what “tradition” might mean to each of us. Lets take a look at the use of traditions as in the skill sets for woods tramps ,and self-reliant types, a broad look at how, and why we do ,and or use a certain method.
Tradition, is something that is steeped in the history of any given skill, including the use of certain tools, clothes, shelter, in other words the approach to that skill set. Where did we pick up those traditions, or “this is the way to do it by gawd”. Many times it came from our dad, grandpa, uncle, aunt, grandma, and old mentor, a book , or this how it was shown to me by, you name the person. Most of the time when we learn a skill, then practice it it becomes second nature. This is it, I have that down. I always preach “own the skills” , thats right, but be flexible.
Just because anyone showed us how to do a certain skill, does not mean a better way is not lurking out there.
Dad said that this is the way it is done. Really? My dad showed me a lot of things. ( He would introduce me this way, “this is my son, I taught him everything I know and he still doesnt know a damn thing), a kind of,  just because he taught me didnt mean it was the only way.One of the things he taught me was never be afraid of change. Just because daddy did it this way, so for you this the traditional way to it, keep an open mind for another approach. Dad might even be way wrong. Same with anyone, accept what they taught you, keep an open mind for other methods.
Traditional should not remain “static” but we should have a weather eye out at all times to improve the method.
Over the years by observation, practising, doing, reading,through mentors, and fumbling around on my own I have a certain way of doing things. I like certain kinds of gear over others. I like traditonal packs, made from waxed cotton. I like to wear wool clothes in the bush, I like a leanto made from canvas or sticks etc. . However, that does not mean I have not tried many other packs, like the Go-lite system, works well, many will not use anything else. While I used this system for a few years it was fine. In the end  it was not my “cupatea”.  Light weight tarps and tents, again they function well, I didnt care for them most of the time.
Clothes, I still wear some light weight wonder shirts and pants. They tout all kinds of advantages, really? Not my favorites. You get the point.
So what Im getting at is do not be afraid to try something else. Do not set any tradition in stone, they all have a nuance, and you can learn those from many sources. Try not to remain static.
Several times in Classes with ,Christopher Nyerges, some student will say “thats not the way I learned it from soandso”, in one case it was how to make a fire using a bow and drill. Christopher asked him if he could make fire now. Answer, “no”, and we commenced to show him how to make a fire and he did, but it was still wrong according to him, but it worked. What?
As tradition points the way for many of us, lets not get lost in the mire of not having an open mind. There are many ways to skin a cat, as the saying goes.
Tradional is what I deem it is, for me .
The longer we live and the longer we are active in the skill sets the longer set of reference we build. So some methods become so ingrained, hard to break away from them. However, because of the longer frame of reference we build over our lives, the more we can offer alternatives that work, all nuance.
 For me my frame of reference goes back for over 60 years, so far my mind has not failed (much). I recall being shown how to shoot a certain gun when I was 12 and 13. Was that the right way, sure it was. Worked well until I went into the Marine Corps. Out of boot camp I went shooting with a bunch of my friends I had grown up with. They were amazed at how well I was shooting. I didnt notice the differnce until I was with them. So the persons who taught me to shoot, including my dad, had it down to a point. But the Marines Corps showed me another way. Sometimes, it is the teacher who cannot convey what they know,  articulate it in a manner we can understand. But they can do it just fine.
Tradition in the family is a wonderful thing. The traditional ways do not mean you cannot improve on the traditional methods. Dont get stuck in the mud.

By Dude McLean

1 comment: